Take your salad to the next level with Clare's tasty recipe.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
100 ml Creme Fraiche
70 g Dried Blueberries
500 g Dry Cure Bacon Joint
1 head Iceberg lettuce
1 - Lemon
1 pinch Pepper
1 pinch Salt
1 bulb Smoked Garlic
150 ml SuperValu Buttermilk
7 g SuperValu Fresh Chives
50 g SuperValu Goodness Pumpkin Seeds
1 drop SuperValu Oil
1 tbsp SuperValu White Wine Vinegar
1. Toast the seeds.
2. Make your dressing. Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3. Put the whole unpeeled garlic bulb on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until soft. Allow to cool, then peel. Add the garlic, buttermilk, crème fraîche and vinegar to a blender and blitz to make a creamy dressing. Taste, then add salt and pepper to season and taste again.
3. Cook the bacon. Place the bacon joint in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then remove the joint and discard the water. Add the joint back to the pan and cover with fresh water. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Remove the joint from the pan and allow to cool slightly, then shred the meat with two forks. Toss the ham in a couple tablespoons of the salad dressing. This can be made up to three days in advance, then spread on a baking sheet to chill quickly and stored in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
4. Prep the blueberries. Macerate the dried blueberries in the lemon juice for at least 10 minutes.
5. Grill the leaves. Cut the iceberg into eighths and brush with oil. Heat a chargrill pan over a high heat. Add the lettuce wedges and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Allow to cool.
6. Assemble the salad. Tear the chives into 5cm lengths. They can be prepped and covered with damp kitchen paper up to two days in advance. To serve, spread a layer of dressing on the base of a large serving platter. Add the lettuce wedges, then scatter over the shredded ham, blueberries and seeds. Finish with the fresh chives and serve any remaining dressing in a bowl alongside.