This simple recipe doesn’t include suet in the recipe as it can contain gluten, however it’s just as tasty! Store any unused mincemeat in a sterile jar for up to six months.
Serves: 16 people
100 g Caster Sugar
2 tsp Mixed Spice
2 tbsp Sherry
200 g SuperValu Brown Sugar
450 g SuperValu Cooking Apple
peeled and grated
500 g SuperValu Frozen Mixed Berries
currants, sultanas and raisins
60 g SuperValu Goodness Prunes
pitted and chopped
1 - SuperValu Lemon
juice and zest
1 - SuperValu Orange
juice and zest
50 g Caster Sugar
1 - Fresh Egg
0 - Fresh Egg
1 SuperValu egg beaten mixed with 1 tbsp milk
225 g Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
100 g SuperValu Butter
60 ml Water
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Place all the mincemeat ingredients together in a bowl and stir and allow to soak overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Sift the flour, xanthan and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the butter and sugar, and using your fingertips rub together until it forms crumbs.
- Add the beaten egg and a little cold water (if required) and stir until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Wrap in some clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and using a 6cm cutter, cut 18 discs and place into a lightly greased muffin tin.
- Add a spoonful of mincemeat to each case, be careful not to overfill or it will spill over during cooking.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut out a further 18 discs, and place onto the mincemeat.
- Seal with a little water and brush with some egg wash. Using a shape knife pierce the upper crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to cool in the muffin tray before removing.
- Serve with some freshly whipped cream.