The whisky will add great flavour but alcohol free can be done too. In this case, soak the sultanas in a vanilla flavoured syrup made of 75g water and 50g caster sugar.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 10 people
Add all ingredients Select All
3 tsp Baking Powder
1 - Egg
1 - Raspberry Jam
or strawberry jam, to serve
100 g Sultanas
200 g SuperValu Butter
100 ml SuperValu Buttermilk
100 g SuperValu Caster Sugar
1 - SuperValu Egg
450 g SuperValu Plain Flour
1 - Whipping Cream
100 ml Whiskey
- Place the sultanas in a bowl. Warm the whisky in a small saucepan and pour over the sultanas. Cover with cling film and leave to plump and infuse for 30 minutes or overnight if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together into a large bowl. Add the caster sugar and rub in the butter with your fingertips.
- Add the egg, buttermilk and soaked sultanas at this stage and mix to a soft dough. If the mixture is too wet & loose at this stage add in a little extra flour.
- Transfer the mixture to a floured surface and flatten it out to about 2 - 3cm to ¾ inch in depth.
- Using a scone cutter or a glass, cut out some shapes and transfer to a lined baking tray.
- Brush the egg wash over the top of the scone. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve the scones with the raspberry jam and freshly whipped cream.