This will warm you on a cold Winters day!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 litre Beef Stock
(or chicken stock)
0 - Black Pepper
1 - Fresh Egg
100 g Gruyere Cheese
50 g Plain Flour
1 sheet Puff Pastry
1 glass Red Wine
1 dstspn SuperValu Brown Sugar
110 g SuperValu Butter
2 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
3 cloves SuperValu Garlic
4 large SuperValu Onion
0 - SuperValu Salt
- In a large pot melt the butter and add in the onions, garlic and thyme sprigs and sweat off over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they have partially softened and turned brown and caramelised.
- Add in the brown sugar at this stage and allow it to dissolve completely with the onions.
- Next add in the plain flour and use it to both coat the onions and dry up any liquids in the pan.
- Pour in the wine which will immediately begin to thicken as it reacts with the flour.
- Gradually add the beef/chicken stock to the onion mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir slowly and then simmer for about 45 minutes or until the onions are soft and the soup has reduced.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and using the top of your serving bowl as a template, allow an extra inch around and cut the pastry.
- Lightly brush the bowl edge with eggwash and place the pastry disc on the surface.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle some cheese on top of each pastry disc.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.