Serves: 6 people
50 g Almonds
50 g Butter
50 g Caster Sugar
4 tbsp Dark Rum
1 medium Fresh Egg
50 g Glace Cherries
0.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
225 g Marzipan
140 ml Milk
0.5 tsp Salt
400 g Strong Flour
200 g SuperValu Dried Fruit
10 g Yeast
- Tip the dried fruit into a small bowl and add the rum. Stir the fruit, then cover the bowl. Leave the fruit for at least 2 hrs, or overnight.
- To make the dough, tip the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl. Lightly beat together the butter, milk and egg and add to the flour mixture. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover and leave to rise for 1 1/2 hours in a warm place (hot press is ideal). Knock back with your fist, and turn out. Roll out the dough in a triangular shapes keeping the large side about 2cm thick and from the middle to the point about 1cm thick . Sprinkle over the soaked fruit, glace cherries and chopped almonds.
- Knead the marzipan to soften it and then roll it out into a 20cm long sausage shape or to fit the large part of the triangular shaped dough. Place the marzipan on the dough, and then fold the dough over it to enclose it and roll it like a croissant shape.
- Place the stollen on a buttered baking sheet, and cover it with a lightly oiled piece of cling film for 45-60 minutes, or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Bake the stollen for 30 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when lifted off the baking sheet and tapped underneath. Remove from the oven and slide it onto a wire rack. Immediately brush over the melted butter and heavily dredge it with icing sugar. Leave it to cool.
- Dust again with icing sugar before serving.