The perfect weekend treat.
Preparation time: 10 minutes•
Cooking time: 50 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Cover the bottom of a large pot with the SuperValu Signature Tastes Extra Virgin Olive Oil on a medium heat and once hot, add the finely chopped onion, celery, carrot and the bay leaf.
2. Keep stirring.
3. Once it gets a little colour, add the minced garlic and keep stirring and after a couple of minutes add the SuperValu Fresh Irish Extra Lean Beef Steak Mince and cook until all the surface of the meat is coloured. Make sure you keep stirring so that the meat doesn’t get lumpy. Season with some salt and pepper.
4. Add all the wine and let it evaporate.
5. Add the tinned chopped tomatoes and the oregano. Turn the heat down to low and let it cook for at least 30/40 minutes. Continue to stir often and if it gets too dry, then turn the heat down and add a little water. Add sugar to taste.
6. Whilst the sauce is cooking bring a large pot of water to the boil and once it is fully boiling, add a very generous amount of salt. In Italy we go by this rule (1ltr of water to 10g of salt to 100g of pasta). In this case you’d need 50 grams of salt.
7. Once the salt is dissolved and the water is still boiling add your pasta and keep stirring for a couple of minutes so that the pasta doesn’t stick together. No need for oil, just a good stir.
8. Cook the pasta following the instruction on the packet but try at least a minute before the allowed time. Make sure the pasta is “Al Dente” or with a little bite. Do not overcook.
9. Drain the pasta and add to the Bolognese sauce until all the pasta is covered with some sauce. Add half of your grated parmesan and stir again.
10. Serve the pasta in a deep bowl and make sure to scoop some sauce on the top. Add the remaining parmesan and tear 4/5 basil leaves with your fingers and serve.