A lovely fresh tasting soup with succulent crispy bacon.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - Bay Leaves
750 g Chestnuts
200 ml SuperValu Cream
2 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
1 pinch SuperValu Ground Nutmeg
1 - SuperValu Leek
2 - SuperValu Potatoes
1 - SuperValu Shallots
8 slices SuperValu Smoked Bacon Rashers
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
1 L Water
Or Chicken stock
- Wash, peel and chop the vegetables, then place them in a saucepan and cover with the water or chicken stock. Add the thyme and bay leaf. Cook for 15 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add most of the chestnuts (keep a few back to garnish) and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for a further 30 minutes. Add the cream. Transfer to a blender or use a hand blender to blitz the soup until smooth.
- While the soup is simmering, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ gas mark 4.
- Pat the bacon dry, then place between two baking trays to keep it flat and crispy. Cook in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes, until crispy, then chop into small pieces.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg, if using, and stir it in. Divide the soup between the bowls, sprinkle with bacon pieces and the reserved chestnuts and serve immediately.