This is my take on a classic dish.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 2 people
Add all ingredients Select All
110 g Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour
plus extra for dusting the fish*
2 - SuperValu Cod Fillets
225 ml SuperValu Sparkling Water
0 - SuperValu Sunflower Oil
2 large Maris Piper Potatoes
- To make the batter, sift the flour into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the sparkling water until you have achieved a smooth batter and store in the fridge.
- Cut the fish into pieces if desired or leave the fish in one large piece.
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into thick cut chips and store in water until required.
- Deep fry in hot oil until almost fully cooked.
- Lift the chips and allow the oil to heat back again and then drop them in for a final 30 seconds until they are crisp and golden brown.
- Dust the strips of fish in a light coating of GF flour and then dredge in the batter, shaking off any excess.
- Deep-fry for about 5 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your fryer. If you are cooking larger pieces of fish start cooking it in the fryer and then transfer to the oven to finish cooking.
- Serve the fish and chips in little newspaper cones and enjoy.
- In a large saucepan quickly fry off the onion & garlic until browed.
- Add in the frozen peas and coat with onion & garlic mixture
- Add in cream and cook until the peas have softened and the cream will have reduced and thickened - approx 5 minutes.
- Mix in the seasoning and freshly chopped mint at this stage.
- Transfer the entire mixture to a food processor or blitz with hand held blitzer until broken down but still a little chunky.
- Serve with the fish and some home made thickly cut chips.
*Check Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List for gluten free brands.