This is a very seasonal dessert, perfect served on it’s own or with some warm custard. Perfect to have on standby for the unexpected guest.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tsp Baking Powder
0 tsp Baking Soda
175 g Cream Cheese
250 g Plain Flour
50 g SuperValu Butter
80 ml SuperValu Buttermilk
0 tin SuperValu Salt
50 g SuperValu Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
0 tsp Cardamom Pods
0 tsp Ground Cinnamon
0 tsp Ground Ginger
227 g Light Brown Sugar
75 g Pack Dessicated Coconut
20 g SuperValu Butter
75 g SuperValu Ground Almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper and spread the coconut on one tray and the ground almonds on the other.
- Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes until toasted, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 9 -10 inch spring form pan.
- In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, buttermilk, sugar, melted butter and vanilla.
- Process until smooth, about 10 seconds then pour in a bowl.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt, and bread soda and mix until the dough clumps together. The dough will be soft and moist.
- Remove the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 12x15 inch rectangle.
- Brush the dough with the melted butter, leaving a ½ inch border unbuttered around the edges.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the buttered area of the dough and pat it gently into the surface.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut and almonds over the sugar mixture.
- Starting at a long edge, roll up the dough like a swiss roll.
- Pinch the seam to seal and leave the ends open.
- With a sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 equal pieces.
- Set the pieces cut side up, in the prepared pan; they should fill the pan and touch slightly, but don't worry if there are small gaps.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a spatula around the inside edge of the pan and remove the spring form ring.
- Transfer the cakes onto a serving plate.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, milk and vanilla to make a smooth glaze.
- It should have a thick and pourable consistency so add more milk if needed.
- Drizzle over the roll let stand for 15 minutes and serve.