Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 8 people
Add all ingredients Select All
75 g Almonds
110 g Currants
2 - Fresh Egg
100 ml Irish Whiskey
110 g Mixed Peel
0 tsp Mixed Spice
0 tsp Nutmeg
45 g Plain Flour
110 g Raisins
150 g Sultanas
110 g SuperValu Butter
110 g SuperValu Cherries
110 g SuperValu Dark Brown Sugar
75 g SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
1 - SuperValu Lemon
rind and juice
1 pinch SuperValu Salt
- If possible, allow the fruits to soak in 100ml of whiskey or brandy overnight.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the brandy-soaked fruit and mix until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add the lemon rind, juice, melted butter and eggs and mix well.
- Place in a well-greased 1½ pint/850ml pudding bowl.
- Cover with two well greased pieces of greaseproof paper, making sure there is a fold across the middle.
- Place a double layer of tin foil or alternatively the lid of the pudding bowl on top.
- Place the pudding bowl into a large saucepan half-filled with water.
- Bring the water to the boil and then reduce to a very gentle simmer.
- Steam for 5½ hours, making sure that the water does not boil off.
- After the cooking time has elapsed, remove the pudding from the water, remove the lid and greaseproof paper and allow the pudding to cool down completely.
- When cold, re-cover as before with fresh paper and store till needed.
- On Christmas morning, you will need to steam the pudding for a further 3½ hours. The process is the same as before.
- Serve with softly-whipped cream with a little brandy mixed into it.