I love ham at Christmas and could happily content myself just slicing chunk after chunk whilst waiting for dinner to be ready.
Serves: 8 people
- Soak the ham for up to an hour. Put into a pot, cover with water and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for about 2 hours and turn off heat, allowing meat to cool in the cooking liquid.
- Remove the ham and using the tip of your knife, score lines across the fat to create a diamond shaped pattern.
- Stud the cloves into the scored fat between each diamond. Place the ham onto a baking tray.
- Melt the marmalade gently and pour over or brush onto the ham. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Loosely cover with tinfoil and bake in the oven at 150ºC/300ºF/Gas Mark 2 for about an hour, then remove from the oven.
- Take the tinfoil off at this stage and turn up the heat.
- Return the ham to the oven for an additional 20 minutes until the skin has become slightly crispy and caramelised.
- Rest the meat for an additional 30 minutes out of the oven before slicing.