By The Happy Pear
These fritters are wonderful with a salad or in a toasted wholemeal pitta bread, slathered in tzatziki with some sliced avocado and mixed green leaves. This recipe makes 18 fritters.
Preparation time: 25 minutes•
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves: 5 people
1. Put all the ingredients except the chickpeas and oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the chickpeas and pulse until blended, but make sure there are still some big pieces of chickpeas visible. Roll the mix into little balls. You
should get around 18, more or less.
2. Put a large frying pan on a high heat. Add the oil and let it heat up. Add the fritters a few at a time and fry just until they start to turn golden, then turn over and cook until golden on the other side.
3. Repeat with the remaining fritters. Alternatively, you could bake the fritters in an oven preheated to 180°C/gas mark 4 for 20 minutes, until they crisp up.
4. To make the tzatziki, finely grate the cucumber into a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain in the sink for 5 minutes. Squeeze all the water out of the cucumber. Mix all the tzatziki ingredients together in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and an extra squeeze of lime juice if needed.
5. Serve the chickpea fritters with a bowl of tzatziki on the side.