Traditionally, chimichangas are fried for a crispy outer skin. But If you prefer a healthier version, brush the parcels with some oil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 200˚C.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
100 ml Chicken Stock
2 cloves Garlic
2 - Onions
1 tin Refried Beans
100 g SuperValu Cheddar Cheese Blocks 400g
2 tsp SuperValu Chilli Powder
600 g SuperValu Fresh Irish Chicken
cooked and shredded
2 tsp SuperValu Olive Oil
2 tsp SuperValu Smoked Paprika
150 ml SuperValu Tomato Passata
1 tsp SuperValu Tomato Purée
6 - SuperValu Tortilla Wraps
- Over medium heat, heat a saucepan with the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for two minutes until softened. Add the shredded chicken pieces and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add in the passata, tomato purée, chicken stock, chilli powder and smoked paprika.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 - 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and check the seasoning.
- Spread a lightly heaped tablespoon of refried beans onto the centre of each tortilla, leaving about a two-and-a-half-inch border to the edge of the tortilla. Layer each tortilla with the chicken mixture and top with some cheddar cheese. Fold the sides in then snuggly fold bottom side up and roll to wrap. Fasten the end with toothpicks if desired.
- Preheat a deep-fat fryer to 180˚C. Alternatively, heat a shallow pan with 3cm of sunflower / frying oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the tortillas and fry until golden brown on both sides, rotating to ensure the chimichanga is golden brown on all sides.
- Remove and drain on paper towels and remove the toothpicks, if used.
- Serve warm topped with guacamole, tomato salsa, sour cream.