Serves: 4 people
at room temperature, separated
+ extra for greasing the ramekins
SuperValu Cayenne Pepper
SuperValu Fresh Breadcrumbs
Wexford Vintage Cheddar
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Place an oven tray in the oven to preheat. Brush the base and side of 4 by 250 ml (approx) ramekins with butter to grease. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs in the ramekins and rotate to coat each base and side with breadcrumbs.
- Turn ramekins upside down and gently tap to remove excess crumbs.
- Melt the extra butter in a saucepan over medium heat until foaming.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and starts to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat and add half the milk.
- Whisk until mixture is smooth. Add the remaining milk and return to the heat and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat. Add the cheese, mustard and pepper and stir until cheese melts and mixture is smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Add one-quarter of the egg whites to the cheese mixture and using a metal spoon to fold through until just combined. This will loosen the mixture.
- Add the remaining egg whites and gently fold until just combined.
- Divide the cheese mixture between the 4 ramekins and smooth the tops.
- Run your finger around the inside rim of each ramekin, about 2cm into the soufflé (this will help the souffle rise more evenly).
- Place the souffle on the preheated oven tray and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
- Serve immediately