These savory scones are delicious with just butter.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 8 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tsp English Mustard Powder
1 - Fresh Egg
225 g Self-Raising Flour
50 g SuperValu Butter
100 ml SuperValu Buttermilk
1 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Sage
8 small SuperValu Fresh Sage
100 g SuperValu Medium Red Cheddar Grated 200g
1 pinch SuperValu Salt
- Heat oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7.
- Mix the flour, mustard powder, pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in half of the cheese and the sage.
- Mix the egg and buttermilk together in a separate bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and pour in all with the exception of a ½ tbsp of the buttermilk mix.
- Working quickly, stir until the mixture forms a soft, spongy dough.
- Place onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth.
- Roll out to a square into 3cm-thickness.
- Cut into 8 pieces.
- Place the scones on a floured baking tray, brush with the remaining buttermilk, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and top each with a small sage leaf.
- Bake for 12-14 mins until they are well risen, golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Best eaten when warm from the oven with a spread of SuperValu butter.