A taste of Christmas.
Serves: 6 people
200 g Candied Fruit Mix
250 fillets Caster Sugar
5 - Fresh Egg
20 ml Milk
80 g Plain Flour
plus 2 tablespoons extra
250 g Self-Raising Flour
250 g SuperValu Butter
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
- Grease a 20cm cake tin and line with parchment paper. Sieve the self-raising flour and 80g of the plain flour into a bowl. In a separate bowl beat together the sugar and butter until pale and creamy, then add the eggs and combine. Add the flours and finish with the milk if desired.
- Put the candied fruit in a small bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of flour so the fruit doesn’t sink to the bottom of the cake. Add the fruit to the cake batter, then pour into the prepared tin. Bake for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Test the cake by lightly pressing the centre. If baked, it should spring back and the top should be golden brown. Alternatively, pierce the cake with a metal skewer. The skewer should come away cleanly once cooked.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 to 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire tray to cool. Decorate as desired.