Serve these mince pies with some brandy or Coole Swan for an indulgent treat.
Serves: 24 people
125 g Butter
at room temperature
1 - Fresh Egg
1 - Fresh Egg
beaten with 2 tablespoons of milk - for an egg wash
70 ml Irish Whiskey
350 g Mincemeat
250 g Plain Flour
plus extra for dusting
1 carton SuperValu Cream
freshly whipped, to serve
75 g SuperValu Icing Sugar
- Using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer, beat the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl until creamy, then mix in the beaten egg. Sieve in the flour and mix to form a dough, then pat into a rectangular shape and wrap in cling fi lm. Allow the pastry to rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Divide the pastry in two and roll out one half. Stamp into circles and use to line two greased 12-hole bun tins. Roll out the remaining pastry and stamp out tops to match the tray moulds or use a small cutter to create different shapes. Place the tops on a small tray and chill the bases and tops in the fridge.
- Place the mincemeat in a bowl and add the brandy. Stir once or twice, then set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4.
- Spoon the mincemeat into the pastry bases, then add the tops and press down gently to seal the edges. Brush with the egg wash and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream flavoured with a few drops of Irish whiskey.