This is simply delicious and as with most dishes of this nature it tastes even better the next day!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 tin Batchelors Chickpeas
1 tsp Ground Cumin
225 g SuperValu Goodness Cous Cous
1 medium SuperValu Onion
1 - SuperValu Orange
510 g SuperValu Quality Irish Diced Beef
1 - SuperValu Sweet Potato
cut into cubes
2 - SuperValu Tomato
From the Store Cupboard
450 ml Beef Stock
350 ml Chicken Stock Cube
or Boiling Water
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Plain Flour
50 g Raisins
1 tsp SuperValu Cinnamon
1 tsp SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
2 cloves SuperValu Garlic
1 tbsp SuperValu Olive Oil
1 tsp SuperValu Sugar
0 - SuperValu Whole Black Peppercorns
- Mix together the mixed herbs with the spices (cumin, cinnamon, chilli powder) and the sugar.
- Toss the beef pieces in the spice mix, adding the oil to coat the spice to the beef.
- Leave the meat for 20 minutes and then fry off on a large frying pan until all of the meat has been browned evenly.
- Transfer the meat to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Next fry off the onions, garlic and sweet potato for approx 3-4 minutes until well browned.
- Add the plain flour and stir this with the vegetables for a minute or two.
- Then mix in the chopped tomatoes with the beef stock.
- Pour all of this deliciously fragrant sauce into the casserole dish, mix in with the meat and pop into the oven and simmer for 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- Check the dish every 20 minutes to give it a stir and if you feel the mixture is becoming too dry add in some additional stock.
- After an hour, add the chickpeas, raisins and orange zest and return to the oven for a further 20-30 minutes.
- At this stage place the cous cous into a large bowl, pour in the boiling water/ chicken stock and cover with some cling film and leave for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cling film, fluff up the mixture with a fork and season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve with the Beef Tagine and if desired you could sprinkle with some toasted almonds and/or natural yoghurt.