This salad has such an array of textures and flavours that it's ideal for persuading younger eaters to experiment. The walnuts and apricot pickle can be prepared in advance and stored for up to 3 weeks!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 6 people
Add all ingredients Select All
2 sticks Celery
thinly sliced and reserve any celery leaves
1 tbsp Lemon
1 drop Olive Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt
0.5 - SuperValu Cantaloupe Melon
12 small SuperValu Radishes
thinly sliced into circles
2 - SuperValu Red Apples
100 g SuperValu Rocket Leaves
For the Apricot Pickle
0.5 tsp Caster Sugar
50 g Dried Apricots
2 tbsp SuperValu White Wine Vinegar
100 ml Water
For the Blue Cheese Dressing
125 g Blue Cheese
100 g Greek Yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 170oC/gas mark 3. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- To prepare the walnuts, whisk the egg white, maple syrup, salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl until the mixture begins to foam. Fold in the walnuts and stir to coat well. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the lined baking tray and bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown, then leave to cool. Store in a glass jar for up to 3 weeks.
- To make the apricot pickle, cut the apricots into thirds. In a small saucepan set over a medium-high heat, combine the apricots, water, white wine vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes, until the apricots are plump and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- To make the dressing, blend the blue cheese and yogurt in a food processor with enough cold water to form the consistency of double cream.
- Toss the apple and melon slices in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, poppy seeds and sea salt. Mix the sliced celery with the celery leaves.
- To serve, arrange the ingredients in rows on a large serving pltter, with the blue cheese dressing and apricot pickle on the side with extra poppy seeds. Allow everyone to help themselves