Paella is a magic dish for a crowd. Even little eaters will love the flavours and the golden colour of the rice, while grown ups will pick out the juicy prawns.
Serves: 4 people
1 pinch Black Pepper
200 g Cherry Tomatoes
1 litre Chicken Stock Cube
200 g Chorizo Sausages
cut into bite-sized pieces
5 cloves Garlic
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 - Onion
500 g Paella Rice
1 pinch Salt
8 - SuperValu Fresh Irish Free Range Chicken Thighs
boneless, skinless, halved
16 large SuperValu King Prawns
peeled and deveined
2 - SuperValu Lemons
cut into wedges, to serve
16 - SuperValu Mussels
1 pinch SuperValu Saffron
2 tbsp SuperValu Smoked Paprika
- Preheat the barbecue to a high heat.
- Place a 30cm paella pan on the grill to warm up for 5 minutes. Add the chorizo to the pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to the chorizo to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, then the chicken pieces and sear for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside with the chorizo.
- Add the onion to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic, paprika and saffron, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the rice and stir to coat it in the tomato mixture.
- Pour the boiling hot chicken stock into the paella dish and stir once to combine. Add the chorizo and chicken pieces back on top of the rice. Do not stir the rice from this point on. This will help to create the crispy layer at the bottom of the paella dish.
- Close the lid of the barbecue over the paella dish and allow it to simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until the rice is starting to get plump but still has some bite. At this stage add the prawns and mussels and close the lid over the paella dish again. Continue cooking for 15 minutes more, until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the grill, cover with a loose tent of foil and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving with the lemon wedges.