Originating from Maxim's in Paris, Maxim potatoes are very thinly sliced and presented in a decorative flower shape, perfect when not too much potato is required.
Serves: 4 people
1 pinch Black Pepper
25 g Butter
4 large Carrots
1 tsp Chilli Powder
2 tbsp Chinese 5 Spice
200 g Low Fat Butter
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 - Pork Fillets
1 pinch Salt
0.5 - SuperValu Orange
1 - SuperValu Parsnip
5 - SuperValu Rooster Potatoes
scrubbed and sliced 2mm to 3mm thick
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas mark 4.
- Place the carrots, parsnip, butter and orange zest in a large saucepan, pour in just enough water to cover them, then bring to the boil with a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until softened. Drain the vegetables and mash roughly. Check the seasoning and set aside to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine the five-spice powder, chilli powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub onto the surface of the pork.
- Place the potatoes slices in a bowl and add the clarified butter. Season with salt and pepper and gently mix to coat the potatoes with butter. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer over the paper, overlapping them slightly to look like fish scales. Cover with a second layer of paper and a second baking tray that will fit inside the first to weigh them down (this prevents the potatoes from curling up while they cook). Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked. Remove from the oven and lift off the top baking tray and the top sheet of paper. Set aside on the tray until ready to serve.
- To cook the pork, place an ovenproof pan over a high heat. Drizzle with some oil and add the pork fillet. Colour on all sides for 4 to 5 minutes, then transfer to the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from the oven, cover loosely with tin foil and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Return the tray of potatoes to the oven while the pork rests. Cook for about 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Carve the pork and serve with the crushed vegetables and Maxim's potatoes.