Delicious and hearty soup.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
4 cups Chicken Stock Cube
0.5 cup Chickpeas
mixed with 1/2 cup of Yellow Split Peas (dried)
0.25 tsp Coriander Seed
0.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon
0.25 cup Puy Lentils
1 - SuperValu Carrot
chopped into 1cm cubes
2 can SuperValu Chopped Tomatoes
2 tbsp SuperValu Extra Virgin Olive Oil
0.5 bunch SuperValu Fresh Coriander
3 roots finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped
2 - SuperValu Lamb Shanks
bones with some meat left on
1 tbsp SuperValu Lemon Juice
1 - SuperValu Onion
0.25 tsp SuperValu Saffron
1 tsp Supervalu Ground Cumin
- Soak chickpeas and split peas in separate bowls of cold water overnight. The next day, drain pulses well and set aside.
- Soak the saffron in 1 tablespoon of hot water for 5 minutes. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes until slightly softened. Add spices, coriander root, and saffron and its liquid. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add bones, tomato, carrot, stock and 2 cups (500ml) water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
- Uncover, add chickpeas and cook for 15 minutes, then add split peas and lentils and cook for a further 25-30 minutes or until pulses are tender.
- Remove bones (any meat should fall off by this time). Stir in juice and most of the coriander leaves, reserving some to garnish.
- Season, then serve with reserved coriander and bread.