This impressive dish is straight forward to prepare and perfect for Sunday lunch.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 - Racks SuperValu Baby Back Pork Ribs
(2.5kg) rind removed
1 kg SuperValu Baby Potatoes
For the Caponata
1 tbsp Capers
2 sticks Celery
with leaves, diced
4 cloves Garlic
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1 - Red Onion
20 ml Red Wine Vinegar
or more to taste
3 - SuperValu Aubergine
peeled and cut into large pieces
2 tbsp SuperValu Fresh Basil
10 - SuperValu Green Olives
pitted and chopped
1 tbsp SuperValu Oregano
40 g SuperValu Pine Nuts
200 g SuperValu Signature Tastes Irish Piccolo Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas mark 4.
- Make the gremolata by crushing the garlic with some salt and pepper in a pestle and mortar, then slowly stirring in the oil. Add the parsley and the lemon zest.
- Place the rack of pork on a roasting tray. Spread half of the gremolata on top of the pork, then transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour 40 minutes or up to 2 hours, until the pork reaches 70oC in its centre if using a thermometer or until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, bring the baby potatoes to the boil in a large pot of salted water. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- To make the caponata, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan set over a medium heat. Add the aubergine and sprinkle with the oregano and some salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and softened, then remove the aubergines from the pan and set aside in a bowl for a few minutes.
- In the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the onion and garlic. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until softened. Add the celery, tomatoes, olives and capers (if using), and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes more. Return the aubergines to the pan and season with the vinegar and some more salt and pepper. Cook for a further 5 minutes on a low heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pine nuts and basil. The caponata can be served warm or at room temperature.
- Carve the pork and serve on a bed of caponata with baby potatoes and an extra spoonful of gremolata on the side.