This pasta salad is a great way of getting some all-important vegetables into your kids. The trick is to chop the veg so small that your kids will just scoop them up along with the pasta. Use this recipe as a base to mix and match whatever vegetables your kids will eat. If you have some leftover roast chicken or ham, throw that in too for a protein boost.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 pinch Black Pepper
0.5 - Cucumber
100 g Frozen Peas
100 g Frozen Sweetcorn
75 ml Olive Oil
500 g Pasta Shells
1 pinch Salt
1 bunch SuperValu Fresh Basil
2 - SuperValu Lemons
2 - SuperValu Peppers
1 orange and 1 red, very finely diced
- First cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, until al dente.
- Put the lemon juice and olive oil into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined. As soon as the pasta is cooked, drain it and add to the bowl. Toss with the dressing while the pasta is still warm to help it absorb the flavours. If you want it to be sharper, add a little more lemon juice or a splash of white wine vinegar. set aside to cool while you prep your vegetables.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil and cook the frozen peas and sweetcorn for 3 minutes, then drain and run them under the cold tap so the peas keep their bright green colour.
- Add the peas, sweetcorn and peppers to the cooled pasta. Use a small spoon to scrape the watery seeds out of the cucumber, then cut into the same tiny pieces as the peppers and add them to the bowl. Add the basil and season with salt and pepper, then give it all a good stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Pack the pasta salad into airtight containers along with a yogurt pot for the dairy element of the lunch and a bottle of cold water or unsweetened fruit juice. If you want to get the entire rainbow into one lunch, pack a small airtight container of fresh blueberries as well. And don't forget the fork!