A quick and easy take on a traditional risotto, and in our opinion it’s even tastier and also dairy free!
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 4 people
Add all ingredients Select All
250 g Arborio Rice
1 - Black Pepper
3 cloves Garlic
0.5 - Lemon
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 - Red Onion
1 - Salt
250 g Shiitake Mushrooms
(or whatever mushrooms are available), roughly chopped
1 pinch SuperValu Chilli Flakes
to garnish (optional)
3 sprigs SuperValu Fresh Thyme
1 litre Vegetable Stock
4 tbsp White Wine
(or more veg stock)
- Put the stock in a small saucepan set on a high heat. Once it’s simmering, reduce the heat to low to keep it warm.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan set on a high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat it in the oil. Add the wine and cook for 1 minute, until it has all been absorbed into the rice.
- Using a small ladle, add about 120ml of the veg stock at a time. Reduce the heat to medium and stir the risotto almost constantly, giving it little breaks to come back to a gentle simmer. You want it to be cooking, not boiling.
- Continue to add the vegetable stock a little bit at a time, stirring until it has all been absorbed before you add the next ladleful. Cook until the rice is al dente (cooked through but still has a slight bite). This whole process should take 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, taste and season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Ladle the risotto into warm bowls. Garnish with the thyme leaves and toasted cashews and a pinch of chilli flakes if you like a bit of heat.