These mini skewers are hugely versatile. You can add olives, gherkins, sun-dried tomatoes or any other vegetables you like.
Preparation time: 10 minutes•
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the beef, garlic, egg, barbecue sauce, salt and pepper. Form into bite-sized balls about the same size as the cherry tomatoes.
3. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan set over a medium-high heat. Brown the mini burgers for 2 minutes on each side, then transfer to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes, until cooked through.
4. Cut the cheese into small slices that will fit nicely on the skewers and tear the lettuce into small pieces. If the cherry tomatoes are large, cut them in half.
5. Assemble the skewers by threading a cherry tomato on first, then a piece of lettuce, a slice of cheese and lastly the mini burger. Serve with small bowls of mustard and ketchup on the side.
TIP: Children love the idea of mini-burgers, but the skewers can be dangerous, so slip the burger off onto a little plate for junior gourmands.