Irish Mackerel is amongst the best in the world and probably the best value for money too. This pâté recipe is such a simple recipe to make and is very versatile as a snack or starter.
Ingredients Add to Shopping List
Serves: 8 people
Add all ingredients Select All
1 pinch Black Pepper
1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
100 g Cream Cheese
100 g Greek Yoghurt
3 tsp Horseradish
1 - Lemon
4 slices Rye Bread
1 drop SuperValu Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 - SuperValu Fresh Parsley
1 - SuperValu Granny Smith Apples
or any green apple
3 fillets SuperValu Smoked Mackerel
1. Thinly slice the apple and place in a bowl with half the lemon juice and 300ml ice-cold water. Place the bowl in the fridge until needed.
2. Peel the skin off the mackerel and check for bones. Place two and a half mackerel fillets into a food processor together with the remaining lemon juice and the cream cheese, yogurt, parsley, horseradish, cayenne and black pepper. Blend for 2 minutes, until a smooth paste is formed.
3. Place the pâté in a serving bowl and stir in small flakes of the remaining mackerel fillet to add more texture.
4. Brush the rye bread with a little olive oil, then cut into fingers and toast under a medium grill for 4 minutes on each side.
5. Serve the pâté with the sliced apple and toasted rye bread.