See Kevin's other Hampshire Irish Ham recipes, including tasty leftover ideas.
Serves: 10 people
Irish Hampshire Ham
peeled and studded with 3 cloves
For the Glaze
1. Place the ham in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the studded onion, carrot, bay leaf and enough cold water to cover the ham completely. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 1 hour for a 1.2 kg ham, or 20 to 25 minutes per 500g. Remove from the heat and allow the ham to cool in its cooking liquor.
2. Meanwhile, combine the apricot jam and brandy in a small bowl.
3. Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
4. Place the ham on a baking tray. Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the skin from the ham, then score the fat in a criss-cross diamond pattern. Spread the glaze over the ham with a spoon.
5. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the glaze is golden brown. Remove from the oven and rest for 20 minutes, loosely covered in a foil tent, before carving. Serve warm or cold.