SuperValu Take Home Top Accolade at the National Grocery Retail Awards
SuperValu is revealed as Ireland’s Retailer of the Year
SuperValu has been announced as winner of the top award at the inaugural National Grocery Retail Awards this week. The awards were held by Checkout, Ireland’s leading magazine for the grocery retail industry and winners were announced virtually at the ceremony on 20th December. Along with being crowned Retailer of the Year, SuperValu took home the award for Fresh Food Retailer of the Year and several individual awards for their retailers.
The judges highlighted SuperValu’s ability to innovate and respond to key trends- from sustainability initiatives to supporting local and Irish producers and helping customers lead a healthier lifestyle- as to why they were ultimately crowned Retailer of the Year. The judges said of the win, “SuperValu has been a longstanding champion of Irish brands and has acted as a springboard for many businesses that are now household names around the country.
When it comes to the shopping experience in store, SuperValu offers an excellent path to purchase. This can be attributed to both its first-rate customer service teams and to the high quality and creativity of the branding, signage, displays, and storytelling that is evident throughout its estate."
From retail store of the year awards to winners of best retail categories, SuperValu retailers across Ireland picked up 14 awards, including:
- Scally’s SuperValu Clonakilty winner of Retail Store of the Year (Large Supermarket) and Excellence in Fresh Food Retailing in a Large Supermarket
- Garvey’s SuperValu Corbally winner of Retail Store of the Year (Medium Supermarket)
- Rushe’s SuperValu Killiney winner of Retail Store of the Year (Small Supermarket)
- Quish’s SuperValu Ballincollig winner of Ireland’s Best Food-to-Go Offering
- Tarpey’s SuperValu Cavan winner of Ireland’s Best Deli Offering
- Quish’s SuperValu Tramore winner of Ireland’s Best In-Store Off-Licence
- Kavanagh’s SuperValu Westport winner of Ireland’s Best Fresh Fish / Seafood Offering
- SuperValu Blackrock winner of Ireland’s Best Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Offering
- SuperValu Lucan winner of Ireland's Best Bakery Offering
- O’Keeffe’s SuperValu Bantry winner of Ireland’s Best Fresh Dairy Offering
- Tarpey’s SuperValu Cavan winner of Ireland's Most Creative Fresh Food Retailer
- SuperValu Rathborne winner of Excellence in Fresh Food Retailing in a Small Supermarket
- Kavanagh’s SuperValu Westport winner of Excellence in Fresh Food Retailing in a Medium Supermarket
Ian Allen, Managing Director, SuperValu said, “In the first year of the National Grocery Retail Awards we are delighted to be the top performing supermarket with remarkable wins in both the overall categories and for our individual retailers. Winning Ireland’s Retailer of the Year Award is an endorsement of the excellence we bring to our customers in all 223 stores in communities around Ireland every day. Our retailers also took home 14 awards, we’re immensely proud of each of our retailers and it’s wonderful to see them receive the recognition they deserve, particularly after a challenging time during the Covid-19 pandemic.”
The National Grocery Retail Awards is an amalgam of Ireland’s premier awards for fresh food retailing, the Checkout Best in Fresh awards, and the leading awards for suppliers to the industry, the Checkout National Retail Supplier awards. The awards highlight best in class retailing and honour the companies and suppliers that help Ireland’s pioneering stores and retail chains to achieve levels of service and product excellence that set them apart from their competitors. The awards, hosted by Checkout, are the most prestigious and inclusive awards for the grocery retail sector in Ireland.