Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
This soup has a most attractive colour and is the perfect option for a lunchtime or evening snack, and freezes quite well also so you can keep it for your cool winter days.
- 2 SuperValu Carrots
- 1 large SuperValu Potato
- 1 SuperValu Leek
- 2 stick SuperValu Celery
- 900 g SuperValu Butternut Squash
- 0.5 medium SuperValu Onion
- 50 g SuperValu Irish Creamery Butter
- 3 SuperValu Garlic Cloves
- 0.5 tsp Crushed Chilli Flakes
- 75 ml SuperValu Pouring Cream
- 1200 ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- Supervalu Salt and Pepper
- Begin by peeling and chopping all of the vegetables into large chunks.
- Select a large saucepan and slowly melt the butter.
- Add all of the vegetables and garlic and mix thoroughly and continue to pan roast them for 6–8 minutes without them sticking to the saucepan.
- Season lightly at this stage and add the crushed chilli flakes and allow this to roast off for a few minutes to infuse vegetables with the spice.
- Next you need to add the cream and two thirds of the stock. It is best to add only this amount of stock, as it allows you to adjust or correct the consistency more accurately before serving.
- Bring this entire mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to a constant simmer.
- Simmer for the next 15–20 minutes or until all of the vegetables have softened.
- Blitz the soup until smooth, adjusting the consistency with the remaining stock as required.
- Taste the soup and season accordingly. For those that are more daring, they may wish to add extra chilli flakes at this time.
- Serve the soup in warmed bowls.
- Garnish the soup with a little crème fraiche.
Reviews Write Review
Linda fusco| September 30, 2014 at 11:21 pm
I have made this soup a few times and it gets better every time . Tastes good even after a few days in fridge.
Marina| August 27, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Nicest soup I have ever tasted. It’s Gorgeous.
Louise| January 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm
Have this cooking at the moment and it smells fantastic!