Potty training can begin any time from eighteen to thirty-two months.
Start when your toddler:
- Is having longer dry periods more often.
- Can follow simple instructions.
- Can pull up and down his/her own pants.
- Shows an interest in learning about potty training.
- Is able to imitate behaviour.
Give a reward when a child accomplishes a potty training goal. A reward can be praise or a small treat – in fact, anything that marks an achievement in the process. This will encourage the child and bestow confidence.
Be aware though – accidents are inevitable. Just accept that potty training will take time and patience. The important thing is to stay calm – and be consistent in your potty training plan.
As your child gets older you will be faced with lots of new challenges, don’t forget Eumom’s Toddler Tips & Advice to help you through these challenges.