Pan Seared Pork Steak with Pureed Swede and Boulangere Potatoes
This makes a great Sunday lunch option and can make for very attractive presentation.
- 1 tubes whole SuperValu Fresh Irish Pork Steak from the Butcher Counter
- Pureed Swede
- 1 large SuperValu Swede peeled and diced
- Boulangere Potatoes
- 5 large SuperValu Potatoes sliced thinly
- 1 large SuperValu Onion chopped
- From the Store Cupboard
- 100 g SuperValu Butter
- 1 tsp SuperValu Olive Oil
- 425 ml Chicken Stock
- 4 cloves SuperValu Garlic chopped finely
- 1 pinch SuperValu Dried Mixed Herbs
- SuperValu Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Heat a large frying pan with 25g butter and a little oil.
- Trim any excess fat and sinew off the pork steak and season with some salt and pepper and the dried mixed herbs, quickly seal the pork all over.
- Transfer the pork to a large casserole dish or baking tray.
- Next pour 75ml chicken stock onto the frying pan and allow this to bubble up.
- Pour this over the pork and pop it into the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- Place the diced swede into a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the swede is tender and then strain off the water, add 25g of butter and secure a tightly fitting lid and allow to steam.
- Transfer the entire mixture to a food processor and blitz until a smooth consistency has been achieved.
- Return to the saucepan and stir over a gentle heat for a further minute or two until the mixture is piping hot.
- Season as required.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes using either a sharp knife or a food processor.
- On a large pan quickly fry the onion and chopped garlic (if using) together in a little olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- In a large ovenproof dish start to layer the potatoes.
- Divide the onions and garlic (if using) between each alternative layers of potatoes, ensuring the top is a layer of potatoes.
- Pour 350ml boiling chicken stock over the potatoes until they are two thirds covered.
- Then brush the top of the potatoes with 50g melted butter.
- Bake uncovered for up to 1 hour at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
Check Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List for gluten free brands.Pan Seared Pork Steak with Pureed Swede and Boulangere Potatoes,